NOMINA CIRCUMSCRIBENTIA INSECTORUM
ARBITRARY SIGNS IN CLASSIFICATIONS:
- new circumscriptional name; this can be either the oldest circumscriptional name, or a junior synonym (see Alphabetic list of circumscriptional names). When the new circumscriptional name represents poorly an unjustifiable emendation of an older name, this older name can be added after it as: Uropyga = Uropygi
- old circumscriptional name used according to its original circumscription; this can be either the oldest circumscriptional name, or a junior synonym; authorship (if given) can be correct or wrong (see Alphabetic list of circumscriptional names).
- old circumscriptional name used contradicting to its original circumscription (see Alphabetic list of circumscriptional names).
and - special cases (see links in the Alphabetic list of circumscriptional names).
- typified (non-circumscriptional) name. This symbol is accompanied with type generic name written by white letters on gray background: Gryllus. The present catalogue does not inventory typified names, but some of them are given in the Alphabetic list of typifies names.
- typified name contradicting modern rules for priority and/or availability of typified names. The generic name, which should be used to form a correct typified name, is written after it as: Acheta = Gryllus
Black bold - Latin names in Latin spelling.
Gray bold and regular - names of taxa not covered by this catalogue.
(:100) - gray colon and number in brackets - number of page where the new name was introduced first; before the colon can be indicated volume, part and/or year of original publication.
Maroon bold - Latin names in French spelling.
Maroon regular - French name or word.
Teal bold - Latin names in German spelling.
Teal regular - German name or word.
Blue bold - Latin names in English spelling.
Blue regular - English name or word.
Red bold - Latin name in Spanish spelling.
Red regular - Spanish name or word.
Orange bold - Latin name in Italian spelling.
Orange regular - Italian name or word.
Arial gray bold - Latin name in Russian spelling.
Arial gray regular - Russian name or word.
[In square brackets] - original spelling (where it differs from the given one).
Ranks are translated to Latin (while in the original text they can be given in a national language).
Italics - names of genus-group and species-group.
Capital letters are given as in original publication.
Comma between name and author and between author and year (which is used in some original publications) is omitted.
Orders can be shaded by yellow , classes by green , phyla by blue , kingdoms by violet .
ARBITRARY SIGNS IN LIST OF NON-TYPIFIED NAMES:
<1925 - the date is unknown, but earlier than 1925.
[Fr.] - the name is given in its original French spelling.
[Fr.: ...] - original French spelling is ...
[Germ.: ...] - original German spelling is ...
[Eng.: ...] - original English spelling is ...
[Sp.: ...] - original Spanish spelling is ...
ARBITRARY SIGNS IN LIST OF TYPIFIED NAMES:
In first column (gray):
f: - family-group authorship (original spelling is given or omitted);
g: - genus-group authorship (original spelling omitted, except for special cases);
fg: - family- and genus-group authorship are in the same publication;
typus P. machaon* - asterisk means that the species name has the same authorship as the generic one.
In second column (white):
Brown - hierarchical or other typified name in a non-ranking form;
Black - circumscriptional name.
† - extinct