CLADOENDESIS OF EPHEMEROPTERA
Tetramerotarsata Liberevenata Turbanoculata
Anteropatellata - Centroptilum)
Nomen hierarchicum: Centroptilum/g(1) [g:1869]
In circumscription fits:
gen. Centroptilum: Kluge 2012:361-376: 375.
Centroptilum/g1: Kluge 2012:361-376: 363.
Autapomorphies of Centroptilum.
(1) Hind wing [see Turbanoculata (10)] pointed; in other respects it is of the "Centroptilum-type": relatively narrow and long, with long hooked costal projection (see Index of characters [2.2.59-60]).
(2) Tergalii of characteristic shape, pointed and lanceolate; costal and anal margins are bordered by ribs in proximal parts.
Characters of Centroptilum of unclear phylogenetic status.
() Mandibles of «Centroptilum-type»: kinetodontium is separated from incisor (but immovable) and rotated perpendicular to the plane of mandible, so that its denticles hide one another in dorsal or ventral view; left prostheca is bifurcate and rotated in the same manner (see Index of characters [1.1.22], [1.1.24]).
(3) Tergalii are able to make rhythmical respiratory movements (see Index of characters [1.3.30]).
Plesiomorphies of Centroptilum.
(5) Median gonostylar muscle is well developed.
(6) In mature larva which is ready to molt to subimago, buds of gonostyli are folded under larval cuticle by the "Cloeon-type": 2nd segment of gonostylus is directed laterally, and 3rd segment is curved caudally and medially [see Turbanoculata (13)] (unlike Baetovectata see Index of characters [2.3.9]).
(8) Unlike Procloeon/g1 (with which Centroptilum often was confused) larval cerci without enlarged spines on outer side, with strongly stretched last segments, which lack swimming setae..
Size. Fore wing length 57 mm (see Tetramerotarsata).
Distribution. Western Palaearctic, one species.
Nominal species in Centroptilum/g1:
bioculata Linnaeus 1758 [Ephemera] nom.suppr. syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
caudata Strom 1783 [Ephemera] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
halterata Burmeister 1839 [Cloe] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
hyalinatum Stephens 1835 [Cloeon] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
luteola Müller 1776 [Ephemera] typus nominis Centroptilum --/
ochraceum Stephens 1835 [Cloeon] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
pirinense Ikonomov 1962 [Centroptilum] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
transludica Pictet 1843 [Cloe] syn.subj. luteola [Ephemera]
Turbanoculata INCERTAE SEDIS